Friday, December 1, 2017

Five on Friday #2

Friends, Romans, Countrymen.... oh forget it. It's been forever since I've written about anything aside from Management/Research Administration (ONE WEEK FROM SUNDAY UNTIL MY CAPSTONE/THESIS IS DUE!), but I have been DYING to get back to some semblance of creativity so, here we are. Without further ado, I present:

FIVE ON FRIDAY: THE SEQUEL
(Disclosure: This isn't really the sequel. FoF was a common feature on my long-dead previous blog, as was the ever-popular "Friday Confessional." Oh well).

1. SENIORITIS
As I mentioned above, I am approximately one week and 60-some odd hours away from being D-O-N-E with my Master's degree. It seems as though it has been an excrutiatingly long time coming, but when I stop and think of everything that has happened since I started my Program -- my engagement, my marriage, births, deaths and in-between -- I can't help but smile (and shed a tear or two). As some of those closest to me know, I made and then lost a very dear friend during my graduate studies. At some point, I hope to write about her and the impact that she had, and continues to have, on me, the way I see life, and the way that I approach others. So as excited as I am to finish up, it is bittersweet knowing that she and I won't be going on that tropical graduation getaway we planned as we slaved away over powerpoints and prospectuses. So for the next week, I'll be thinking of her as I type away and prepare to end this chapter of my life.

2. Holiday Cheer
IT'S THE MOST WONDERFULLLL TIIIIIIIME OF THE YEEEEEAR! Seriously, though, Thanksgiving is my husband's favorite holiday (Halloween is mine, thanks for asking), and I love the Christmas/holiday season, so both of us have been in our element this week. We kicked it off with his 50-somethingth annual family football game on Thanksgiving morning (well, technically we kicked it off the night before when we tapped the kegs we're in charge of for said football game), and the celebrations continued throughout the weekend and this week. As usual, we spent quality time with both sides of our family, and there was plenty of wine, dancing, laughter and family shots (both camera and otherwise) involved in the merriment.

3. Nosy People
I wrote a FB PSA the night before Thanksgiving about this topic, and it quickly became one of my most liked posts of the year, so it probably bears repeating. This one goes on the "negative Nancy" list, but whether it's the status of our house hunt, size of my jeans, or state of my uterus, I am going to go verbally ballistic on the next person who inappropriately inquires about OBVIOUSLY personal issues. If you ever find yourself about to ask what might be an invasive question, ask yourself, "does the answer to this personally affect my life in any way?" If the answer could even in the slightest be "no," then I believe the venerable 90s queens of hip hop, Salt N Peppa, said it best: "IT'S NONE A YO' BUSINESS!"

4. House Hunting
That being said, I feel comfortable sharing that we are still very much in the midst of house-hunting, almost one year to the date from when we started looking. We've put in two offers during that time, and while both were competitive, we lost each to other couples with more cash in hand. In retrospect, in at least one of those cases, it was definitely for the best; we had another opportunity to buy almost the exact same property a few doors down and, once we considered it, we decided to pass. We have narrowed down the area where we are looking considerably, which doesn't help, but after a lot of discussion regarding where we would ultimately be most happy, we know that it's worth the wait.

BUT! We are going to an Open House tomorrow for which I am trying not to get my hopes up, but cross your fingers for us and, if you pray, say a little one for us that we find our new home!

5. Hamilton
Yes, I am aware that this is probably the most #basic (do we still say that? Or is it #extra? God, I am so old) thing that I could possibly say here, but after a several-months-long hiatus from the nonstop Hamilton soundtrack looping through my head, I have to admit that "My Shot" is back with a vengeance. The one-year anniversary of my birthday trip to see it in NYC passed a few weeks ago, and I'd be lying if I said that Lin-Manuel Miranda's vehement devotion to and tangible action for Puerto Rico had not sparked another spiral into the abyss of the Ten Dollar Founding Father. So to my colleagues, random people next to me on the bus, and any animals within hearing distance, my apologies. (But I'm not going to stop).


No comments:

Post a Comment